MAX materials and MXene materials are new two-dimensional materials that have attracted much attention recently, with excellent physical, chemical, and mechanical properties, and have shown broad application prospects in many fields. This is a comprehensive guide to the properties, applications, and development trends of MAX and MXene materials.
Precisely What is MAX material?
MAX phase material is actually a layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material consisting of M, A, X elements around the periodic table, collectively referred to as “MAX phase”. M represents transition metal elements, such as titanium, zirconium, hafnium, etc., A represents the key group elements, like aluminum, silicon, germanium, etc., X represents carbon or nitrogen. MAX-phase materials, each atomic layer is made up of M, A, X, three of the aspects of the alternating composition arrangement, with hexagonal lattice structure. Because of the electrical conductivity of metal and strength, high-temperature resistance and corrosion resistance of structural ceramics, they are widely used in high-temperature structural materials, high-temperature antioxidant coatings, high-temperature lubricants, electromagnetic shielding along with other fields.
Properties of MAX material
MAX material is actually a new form of layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material using the conductive and thermal conductive qualities of metal, comprising three elements with all the molecular formula of Mn 1AXn (n=1, 2 or 3), where M means the transition metal, A refers back to the main-group elements, and X refers to the elements of C and/or N. The MXene material is a graphene-like structure obtained by the MAX phase treatment with two-dimensional transition metal carbides, nitrides, or carbon-nitrides. MXenes material are novel two-dimensional nanomaterials made up of carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, and halogens.
Applications of MAX materials
(1) Structural materials: the superb physical properties of MAX materials make sure they are have a variety of applications in structural materials. As an example, Ti3SiC2 is a very common MAX material with good high-temperature performance and oxidation resistance, which may be used to manufacture high-temperature furnaces and aero-engine components.
(2) Functional materials: Besides structural materials, MAX materials can also be utilized in functional materials. For example, some MAX materials have good electromagnetic shielding properties and conductivity and could be used to manufacture electromagnetic shielding covers, coatings, etc. In addition, some MAX materials also provide better photocatalytic properties, and electrochemical properties can be used in photocatalytic and electrochemical reactions.
(3) Energy materials: some MAX materials have better ionic conductivity and electrochemical properties, which is often utilized in energy materials. For example, K4(MP4)(P4) is one in the MAX materials with high ionic conductivity and electrochemical activity, which can be used as a raw material to manufacture solid-state electrolyte materials and electrochemical energy storage devices.
Exactly What are MXene materials?
MXene materials certainly are a new kind of two-dimensional nanomaterials obtained by MAX phase treatment, like the structure of graphene. The outer lining of MXene materials can interact with more functional atoms and molecules, and a high specific area, good chemical stability, biocompatibility, and tunable physical properties, etc, characterize them. The preparation methods of MXene materials usually range from the etching therapy for the MAX phase and also the self-templating method, etc. By adjusting the chemical composition and structure of MXene materials, the tuning of physical properties like electrical conductivity, magnetism and optics can be realized.
Properties of MXene materials
MXene materials certainly are a new kind of two-dimensional transition metal carbide or nitride materials consisting of metal and carbon or nitrogen elements. These materials have excellent physical properties, like high electrical conductivity, high elasticity, good oxidation, and corrosion resistance, etc., in addition to good chemical stability and the ability to maintain high strength and stability at high temperatures.
Applications of MXene materials
(1) Energy storage and conversion: MXene materials have excellent electrochemical properties and ionic conductivity and they are commonly used in energy storage and conversion. As an example, MXene materials bring electrode materials in supercapacitors and lithium-ion batteries, improving electrode energy density and charge/discharge speed. Furthermore, MXene materials can also be used as catalysts in fuel cells to improve the action and stability of the catalyst.
(2) Electromagnetic protection: MXene materials have good electromagnetic shielding performance, and conductivity can be utilized in electromagnetic protection. As an example, MXene materials bring electromagnetic shielding coatings, electromagnetic shielding cloth, and other applications in electronic products and personal protection, improving the effectiveness and stability of electromagnetic protection.
(3) Sensing and detection: MXene materials have good sensitivity and responsiveness and can be utilized in sensing and detection. As an example, MXene materials can be used gas sensors in environmental monitoring, which may realize high sensitivity and high selectivity detection of gases. In addition, MXene materials may also be used as biosensors in medical diagnostics and other fields.
Development trend of MAX and MXene Materials
As new 2D materials, MAX and MXene materials have excellent performance and application prospects. In the future, using the continuous progress of science and technology and the improving demand for services for applications, the preparation technology, performance optimization, and application parts of MAX and MXene materials is going to be further expanded and improved. The following aspects can become the main focus of future research and development direction:
Preparation technology: MAX and MXene materials are mainly prepared by chemical vapor deposition, physical vapor deposition and liquid phase synthesis. Down the road, new preparation technologies and methods can be further explored to understand a far more efficient, energy-saving and eco-friendly preparation process.
Optimization of performance: The performance of MAX and MXene materials has already been high, there is however still room for additional optimization. Down the road, the composition, structure, surface treatment as well as other elements of the fabric can be studied and improved in depth to improve the material’s performance and stability.
Application areas: MAX materials and MXene materials happen to be commonly used in numerous fields, but you may still find many potential application areas to get explored. Later on, they may be further expanded, like in artificial intelligence, biomedicine, environmental protection as well as other fields.
In summary, MAX materials and MXene materials, as new two-dimensional materials with excellent physical, chemical and mechanical properties, show a broad application prospect in lots of fields. With the continuous progress of technology and science as well as the continuous improvement of application demand, the preparation technology, performance optimization and application regions of MAX and MXene materials is going to be further expanded and improved.
MAX and MXene Materials Supplier
TRUNNANO Luoyang Trunnano Tech Co., Ltd supply high purity and super fine MAX phase powders, such as Ti3AlC2, Ti2AlC, Ti3SiC2, V2AlC, Ti2SnC, Mo3AlC2, Nb2AlC, V4AlC3, Mo2Ga2C, Cr2AlC, Ta2AlC, Ta4AlC3, Ti3AlCN, Ti2AlN, Ti4AlN3, Nb4AlC3, etc. Send us an email or click on the needed products to send an inquiry.